Genwest Systems Inc., an equal opportunity employer, is currently accepting applications for a GIS Analyst. This position will primarily support our clients at the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), National Ocean Service (NOS), Office of Response and Restoration (OR&R) Spatial Data Branch (SDB) and Disaster Preparedness Program (DPP) at their office at the NOAA Disaster Response Center in Mobile, AL.
The successful applicant will support the OR&R staff by providing spatial data management and analysis, as well as enhancing disaster preparedness and response. The position will:
- Integrate spatial data into environmental assessments,
- Provide additional capacity for disaster response for OR&R,
- Provide Emergency Notification System (ENS) support and coordination for NOS,
- Support the data needs of the NOS Incident Management Team.
The position will support the Environmental Response Management Application (ERMA) by participating in data management and data upload, layer management, coordinating with data partners and stakeholders, and participating in software application testing and training. This can include creating and symbolizing GIS data, generating maps and charts, writing processing steps and metadata, and constructing and maintaining databases. The work will primarily be conducted at the Mobile, AL office, but travel to provide on-site support to incident response will also be required.
- Compile and organizing spatial data (GIS) and metadata
- Load and symbolizing data into the OR&R Environmental Response Management Application (ERMA)
- Automating data analysis tasks and routines and documenting efforts
- Work within a team conducting spatial analysis
- Develop digital maps and other data visualization tools
- Coordinate with partners to obtain, share and manage data
- Enhance incident environmental response through on-site support as needed
The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the listed qualifications in his/her resume and interview:
- Bachelor’s Degree with focus in Environmental Science, Geography, GIS, or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- Experience using GIS software and extensions for spatial data, such as ESRI ArcGIS, Survey 123and/or QGIS.
- Skills and experience with environmental data and database management including standardization and compilation of data in preparation for analysis and modeling.
- Strong statistical and spatial analyses skills.
- Strong verbal, writing, and organizational skills.
- Self-motivated, energetic, strategic thinker.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced environmental response framework.
- Ability to work and travel independently.
- History of success in team-based project execution, working as both lead and contributor on diverse multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated flexible and proactive approach to problem solving.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute long term projects, including setting timelines and milestones, and balancing priorities.
- Familiarity with Incident Command System (or willing to take training).
- Possess HAZMAT training (24 or 40 hour) or willing to take this training.
- Ability to prepare and give presentations and lead training sessions, where needed.
- Experience and/or knowledge of marine debris – presence, impacts, and efforts to address it.
- Experience in managing complex projects, including building consensus around goals and objectives, and tracking and reporting on accomplishments.
- Experience with open source web mapping tools (MapServer, OpenLayers, Leaflet, Mapbox).
- Software and data management tool experience:
- Data Tools – Matlab, R, Tableau
- Database Tools – Access, PostgreSQL, mySQL
Compensation will be determined based on the experience and qualifications of the successful applicant in combination with contract budget.
The position is eligible for the Genwest full-time benefit package that includes:
- Health insurance,
- Paid personal and holiday leave
- 401(k) program eligibility
- Employee disability and life insurance
This position will be co-located at the NOAA Disaster Response Center in Mobile, AL.
Please email a resume and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include any cover letter, your resume and references in a single .pdf (Adobe Acrobat) attachment (no more than 4 pages in length) with your name included in the .pdf file name. Also, please include the words, “GIS Analyst” in the subject line of your email.
Applicants selected for interviews will be contacted via email. The position will remain open until filled, with priority given to applications received by August 31, 2020.