Genwest Systems, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer information management and consulting firm headquartered in Edmonds, Washington. Since its inception, Genwest has been a recognized leader in the design and implementation of information systems and solutions. We depend on a diverse team of talented staff to design, develop, and deploy information solutions for our clients.
Genwest is accepting applications for a GIS Analyst. This position will primarily support our clients at the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Office of Response and Restoration (OR&R) Spatial Data Branch (SDB) at their offices in Seattle, WA or Silver Spring, MD.
The successful applicant will support OR&R staff by providing spatial data management and analysis, integrating spatial data into environmental assessments. This includes creating and symbolizing GIS data, generating maps and charts, writing processing steps and metadata, and constructing and maintaining databases. They will be part of the Environmental Response Management Application (ERMA) team participating in data management and upload, layer management, coordinating with data partners and stakeholders, and participating in software application testing.
- Compile and organize spatial data (GIS) and metadata.
- Load and symbolize data into the OR&R Environmental Response Management
- Integrate spatial data into environmental assessments.
- Automate data analysis tasks and routines and documenting efforts.
- Work within a team to conduct spatial analysis.
- Develop digital maps and other data visualization tools.
The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the listed qualifications in his/her resume and interview:
- Bachelor’s Degree with focus in Environmental Science, Geography, GIS, or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- Experience using GIS software and extensions for spatial data, such as ArcGIS or QGIS.
- Skills and experience with environmental data and database management including standardization and compilation of data in preparation for analysis and modeling.
- Strong statistical and spatial analysis skills.
- Strong verbal, writing, and organizational skills.
- Self-motivated, energetic, strategic thinker.
- Ability to work and travel independently.
- History of success in team-based project execution, working as both lead and contributor on diverse multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated flexible and proactive approach to problem solving.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute long term projects, including setting timelines and milestones and balancing priorities.
- Familiarity with Incident Command System or willing to take training.
- Possess Hazmat training (24 or 40 hour) or willing to take training.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environmental response framework.
- Ability to prepare and give presentations and lead training sessions, where needed.
- Experience and/or knowledge of marine debris – presence, impacts, and solutions.
- Experience in managing complex projects, including building consensus around goals and objectives, and tracking and reporting on accomplishments.
- Experience with open source web mapping tools (e.g. MapServer, OpenLayers, Leaflet, Mapbox).
- Software and data management tool experience:
- Data Tools – Matlab, R, Tableau
- Database Tools – Access, PostgreSQL, mySQL
Compensation will be determined based on the experience and qualifications of the successful applicant in combination with contract budget. The position is eligible for full-time benefit package that includes health insurance, paid personal and holiday leave, 401(k) program eligibility, and employee disability and life insurance.
This position will be co-located with NOAA Spatial Data Branch team at the NOAA campus in either Seattle, WA or Silver Spring, MD.
Please email a cover letter (optional), resume (less than 4 pages), and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include these materials in a single .pdf (Adobe Acrobat) attachment with your name included in the .pdf file name. Also, please include the words, “GIS Analyst” in the subject line of your email.
Applicants selected for interviews will be contacted via email. The position will remain open until filled, with priority given to applications received before July 9, 2018.