Genwest Systems Inc., an equal opportunity employer, is currently accepting applications for a Software Development Project Manager. This position will primarily support our clients at the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Office of Response and Restoration, Emergency Response Division clients, and will be based out of the NOAA Western Regional Center in Seattle, WA.
NOAA’s Office of Response and Restoration (OR&R) provides comprehensive solutions to marine pollution, including oil and chemical spills, releases from hazardous waste sites, and marine debris. Within OR&R, the Emergency Response Division (ERD) provides scientific expertise to support the Federal On-Scene Coordinator during an incident response—as well as participating in drills, exercises, and contingency planning efforts. ERD’s multidisciplinary team includes oceanographers, modelers, biologists, chemists, geologists, and software developers. The team relies on a variety of software tools—many of which are developed in-house—to model, assess, and communicate scientific information during a spill response. One of the tools developed by ERD is the CAMEO software suite, which has been used to help emergency responders and planners deal with chemical incidents for over 30 years. The CAMEO suite is used internally by ERD as part of their spill response capabilities, and it is also used externally by tens of thousands of first responders (domestically and internationally).
The Project Manager will lead small development teams for two desktop programs that are part of the larger CAMEO software suite. These two programs are interrelated and both are database-driven tools used by emergency planners and responders. All of the programs in the CAMEO suite incorporate user-centered design techniques and a combination of Agile and Waterfall project methodologies.
- Ensure execution of all day-to-day project activities to meet the defined scope, schedule, budget, and resources.
- Manage development tickets (i.e., product backlog items) in the GitLab system.
- Translate functional and business requirements from stakeholders into technical development requirements.
- Facilitate effective team meetings that respect, motivate, and empower team members.
- Coordinate work between team members and consider cross-project development schedules.
- Anticipate project-specific risks and minimize the impact of change on project delivery.
- Maintain all project documentation (e.g., issue tracker, rules of engagement, definition of done, usability testing findings, QA/QC testing results, etc.).
- Develop a testing plan for the release cycle to ensure quality standards are met.
- Coordinate testing efforts and contribute to signoff testing for issues (i.e., ticket closeout).
- Write occasional outreach content and listserve messages for the user community.
- Act as a program advocate at occasional conferences and webinars (typically less than 5 per year) by providing presentations with program updates and gathering stakeholder feedback. Some domestic travel (once allowed) may be necessary for key stakeholder conferences.
- Demonstrate programs occasionally for internal and external stakeholders; otherwise position duties do not include a software training component.
- Coordinate technical support responses to users for these two programs, as needed.
- Act as a communication hub between the development team, the CAMEO Suite Program Manager, stakeholders, and internal ERD management.
- Experience as a project manager, project lead, or performing project management duties. At least 5 years of experience preferred.
- Familiarity with the software development life cycle; at least some portion of the project management experience must be with software development projects.
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent oral and written communication skills to communicate effectively with diverse organizations, professions, and backgrounds.
- Self-motivated with a desire to learn and apply new techniques (as appropriate) and to continue refining team best practices.
- History of success in team-based project execution, working as both lead and contributor.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute long-term projects, including setting timelines and milestones and balancing priorities.
- Ability to work collaboratively – accepting and integrating feedback, suggestions, and comments from team members.
- Strong team leadership skills, including experience with team motivation and ability to drive projects and enhance team performance, facilitating resolution of inter-team issues with tact and diplomacy, and providing recognition for team achievements.
- Demonstrated flexible and proactive approach to problem solving, with attention to accuracy and detail.
- Familiarity with user-centered design, usability testing, and accessibility.
- Comfortable working in small-team environments and with a combination of remote and in-person team members.
- Familiarity with Agile, Scrum, and Waterfall project methodologies.
- Experience with GitLab is a plus.
Applicants must have strong skills in understanding and communicating complex concepts, problem solving, and working effectively and patiently as part of a high performing team with high expectations, and diverse views and opinions.
Compensation will be determined based on the experience and qualifications of the successful applicant in combination with contract budget. The position is eligible for a full-time benefit package that includes health insurance, paid personal and holiday leave, 401(k) program eligibility, and employee disability and life insurance.
- Relevant experience and certifications should be included in resume
- May include one page cover letter describing your experience that relates directly to the job duties stated in this posting
- Must include three references that can confirm your experience
Please email a resume and 3 references to email@example.com. Please include any cover letter, your resume and references in a single .pdf (Adobe Acrobat) attachment with your name included in the .pdf file name. Also, if applying directly, please include the words, “Project Manager” in the subject line of your email.
Applicants selected for interviews will be contacted via email. The position will remain open until filled, with priority given to applications received by July 16, 2021.